Jan 11, 2011

Burglary

First of all I must mention that today is another fun date day! It's 11.1.11 =)

I talked before about college, and all that was within. But now I think I can say that I have officially experienced it all.

I study and currently live in the most dangerous city in this country. It's the city were all the mafia is, and that is always on the news. 
But during these 4 years, I always said that it is not as they say about it and I did feel safe here.

This year, I moved to live with foreign girls at my friend's flat. It's in a big building in the city downtown, very close to the beach. 
I love it. It is such a warm flat and the girls are awesome. Everything was perfect. 

Thursday night, I left to see my family and friends back in my hometown. My roommate also had an event in another city, so she left for some hours. 
During that time the flat was empty. 

At midnight I got missed calls on my phone and a message that said: "Please call me. They broke in our flat." I went pale and immediately called her. 

Sunday, I came back. My room was a mess. They have been searching through all my stuff and opening all the boxes and drawers. My shoes were everywhere on the floor and some clothes and stuff as well. They didn't steal anything, for all my valuable things were with me at that time. 

She showed me pictures of how her room looked like before she cleaned it. All of the things that were in the big cupboard in her room were on the floor. All the boxes opened and turned over. Her laptop, money and passport were missing.

They broke in through the bathroom window and left through the door with the spare key we had next to it. 

The night I couldn't sleep. I was thinking about it and hearing all kinds of noises thinking they'd come again. 
The idea that they have been watching us, knowing when to break in, knowing that the house would be empty at these hours on that day, knowing what to take and who is living there... 
It's very scary. 
It is the first time that I am in this kind of situation. It is horrible.

Now I know we always have to hide our valuable things, to backup everything on the laptop or the phone. To be aware and prepared, for there is a scary world out there, professional burglars and thieves, and that anything might happen to us as it happens to others. 

The night after the burglary was very scary to me. I couldn't help it but to be frightened. I knew that the chance they come again in the same week is minimal and that the Lord is protecting me and I shouldn't be afraid for he is with me, but I still was. 


Then, I thought, I should stop thinking about this; Because what good does that give me? If I worried or didn't worry, so what? If it's going to happen, it will happen, whether I worried or not, same result. 
So why not stop worrying about it? 
If I sleep, I would wake up if I hear noises. So why not sleep and relax as long as nothing is happening? 
If they come and I was awake, what can I do? There is nothing I can do but scream and call the police. So the result is the same. The phone is next to me when I'm sleeping. 
Besides, if they come again, God's with me and He'll deal with it. I can sleep and when it happens, I am not alone.

1 comment:

  1. Hey hey... for youuu :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIjkW6iyXNo

    ReplyDelete