Oct 6, 2015

The Simple Life

I am back from the most amazing trip I've ever had so far.

I was with my friends in Romania. We rented a car and traveled around. We were five. 

We stayed there for seven days, slept in three different places, experienced so many different things and adventurous crazy things. 

The weather was great. A little bit of everything it was; from extremely cold days with wind, fog and rain... to sunny and warm days.

It was absolutely amazing. I grew mentally and spiritually in that trip. 

The nature was so beautiful. I didn't expect Romania to have that beautiful landscape. 

Here is a picture of one of the places we stayed at, The Transylvanian Alps:



Most of the trip we were on the road, moving around from one town to another, visiting things and enjoying the simplicity and peaceful life. 

The small towns and their simple life was something magical to experience. 

Animals, like sheep, cows, horses, dogs, were on the streets and everywhere. 

You see how each house in the towns has it's own garden with a cow, a horse, a chicken, sheep and a dog. You see how each animal and each plant has it's purpose for human survival needs, as in food, protection and transportation.

Absorbing that, made me think about the vegetarian and vegan issue. I wonder whether there are people like that in those little towns. I doubt it. I think only us, people of the city are the picky ones. We have the option of processed food. We have facilities that provide us with meat substitue products. We can allow ourselves to get attached to animals and complain about slaughtery.

The same thing with complaining about cutting trees and "ruining nature".

While driving in the mountains, I saw some men cutting trees. I thought Oh no! The nature is so beautiful, why are you ruining it! It was disturbing to see that scene. 

The men were cutting the trees and collecting wood.  

As we reached our hostle, it was minus 2 degrees Celsius. It was freezing. 

Outside the hostle there were stacks of wood. 

As I saw that I realized it is firewood. I thought I need this! It was so cold to the point were I lost sensation in my hands and they were hurt. I was in desperate search for heat, and that firewood was what I needed. 

The woodcutters I saw earlier weren't "bad" people. What they did wasn't "ruining" the nature. They don't even look at it as in "beautiful nature let's keep it". What they did was for survival reasons and needs. To heat up they need to burn wood. There isn't any other way there.

Since we don't suffer from lack of heat, we complain. We have air conditioners and heaters. If we didn't have that, we would be desperately looking for firewood and would be understanding the "ruining nature" thing better. 

If we look at all of the things around us, it seems like it all exists to serve us. Living simple and poor makes us see things different. More deeply. It's all there for us. We are the centre. Not the animals, not the trees. We use it all to live. 

The simple life is the natural way of living. The survival. That's life. 

Feeling connected to the earth or getting attached to certain animals, doesn't mean it's the way it should be... It's just a plus for us.

But, when you cut down trees for vain, for no reason, when it's not necessary... When you kill animals with torture, or more than you need, it's wrong. 

There should be supervisors and punishment for those who use their power - to kill living things - without necessity.  

I am not pro vegans, but I am pro nature. I love animals and I hate cruel people. Let's live and let live. Everything in proportion and with the range of necessity. 

Another thing to point out: I loved the simple life and I hated the city. 

We experienced both. We spent the last two days of the trip in the city. The difference was huge. We were in culture shock. 

It felt empty. People up all night partying and drinking. Too many cheap looking women. Half-naked women. Too many drunk people. A city that doesn't sleep. It was noisy and crowded. 

It was totally the opposite of the places we were at. It was fun, a change. It was beautiful too. But in comparison, the villeges, the countryside, wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment