Apr 30, 2013

Looking Young

Okay so I am 26 years old. Yet I look like I could still be in high school.

Some people love and ask for ways to look younger than their age. But as for me, I hate it.

I am a lawyer. My job is serious. But sometimes I am not taken seriously for my looks. And it sucks.

The other day I went to the Ministry of Justice. There was a line of people standing waiting for the security check to get in. Instead of waiting I approached the security guy and asked him if lawyers also have to go through this check or could I get in immediately. The security guy hazed at me for a moment and said "Don't you think you are too young to be a lawyer?" 
He was serious and said it in a mocking way as if I had said a joke, and he continued his work. 
I asked him that question because usually as a lawyer I can show the security guy my licence and he lets me in without any checks. That's what I do when I go to Courts. So I wondered if it's the same at a government institution. Apparently it wasn't. But I got offended for the guy's reply to me. 

Lately I am noticing at Court sessions that the other parties don't take me seriously enough. I see that as soon as they see me as their opponent, they gain confidence and make me feel like I am too young to be there or that I don't know stuff enough or have as much experience as they do, especially opponent older lawyers. 

And that affects my self confidence. :(

Last month I was abroad with the family. At the country border on the way back, we had bought whiskeys, one for each to carry, (since each above 18 years old is allowed to get only one, it's the rules, I don't know if it's so in every country). So at the Customs Declaration on the borders, We declared that we bought whiskey, but then the man looked at me and said "Wait, how old are you? Are you 18 already?" I was like what I am 26!! He said "Wow ok". 

Yesterday we went out to a pub. We've been asked for an ID check at the door. As I gave the woman (yes it was a woman) my ID she looked at it and said "Wow what?! 87? Wow believe me you barely look 18". 

We laughed so much. 

But seriously, it is one of the things that bother me.

No comments:

Post a Comment